måndag 28 december 2015

My year in vintage dresses




2015 for me really was the year of the vintage dress. Not that I wore them on a daily basis (I work from home most days, it's a miracle I even wear pants), but I did fill my closet with heaps of colourful creations from the 40's to the 70's. These are, of course not all of them, merely a  selection.

And why did I start buying clothes I wasn't going to wear? Well, obviously I thought I was gonna wear them, but I guess I needed a hangup to distract me from the middle aged career crisis I've been in (still is in). And also I joined this lovely Facebook group where people sell vintage clothes. And compared to some of the hoarders there this is nothing.

One of this year's first buys was this pastelly beauty.


Still haven't worn it. Mostly because it's polyester, but also because it craves a hat and an invitation to afternoon tea and finger sandwiches.


This one followed me home from a vintage fair in Gothenburg. It's in silk and from the 30's or 40's according to the seller. I wore it to the Polar Music Prize ceremony where the lovely Emmylou Harris and the amazing Evelyn Glennie was being honored. The venue got pretty warm and this dress did nothing to hide that, I'm sorry to say. It will not be allowed at any more important events.


This is from that same vintage fair and this one has actually been worn a few times. It has a nice everyday feel. I wear it with flats and a cardy. I think it's from the 40's and it lacked buttons so I got it pretty cheap. (Of course I had a stash of 40's buttons at home.) It's also pretty torn and I've mended a hand full of holes in it, but they're hard to notice. I think. I don't care.


This was bought in the forementioned Facebook group and has not been worn yet. I do not know when to wear it. It's bright yellow and has a fish belt. So why did I buy it? Because it's bright yellow and has a fish belt.


I'm not sure but I think this is from the 50's. Makes me think of Rizzo in Grease. Didn't buy it this year but wore it for the first time at a vintage themed wedding, where I also performed with friends. Had to patch this one up too. 
Bonus:


This next beaty is a 70's a-line dress. I don't wear much 70's stuff, mostly because of the synthetic fabrics, but this is cotton. I got it at the Swedish charity shop Myrorna and wore it for two Christmas parties. Made me look like a Christmas decoration, which was also the point.


And finally, probably, this year's last buy. A 40's dress with som e serious pockets. Turned out it had both an unremovable stain and a hole in it. It'll just have to show if I can be charming enough to get away with it. 2016 goal - buy and wear intact clothes.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar